Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Do indigenous press exist in the Philippines?

I have a narrow definition of indigenous press at the moment, for the purpose of this blog entry: I mean newspapers and magazines published by members of indigenous groups. Thus, my answer is (a qualified) yes (because I'm not sure if all the publishers of the papers I know identify themselves as IPs:-)

In the Cordillera, we have the Baguio Midland Courier (owned by the Hamadas), Cordillera Today (former Gov. Rocky Molintas), Zigzag (Atty. Antonio Pekas), Northern Philippine Times (Alfred Dizon) and High Plains Journal (Victor Luacan). This list is as far as I can recall. I'm not including here the newspapers published by LGUs (Mt. Province and Ifugao have their own provincial papers).

But I have a few nagging questions. You might be able to help me answer the following:

1. How many indigenous newspapers exactly do we have?
2. Where are they published in the country?
2. Who owns them?
3. What types of articles do they publish?

What about in other areas where there are IPs? For instance, in Nueva Vizcaya and Quirino? And what about the south where there's a large number of indigenous groups? I asked two journo friends from the south if they are aware of any IP-owned paper in the area and they both said nada. Hmmm. Bakit kaya?

2 comments:

wanderingcommuter said...

hey, well i am thinking that regardless who owns the publishing as long as the people who writes the content of it are IPs, it is still fine.

well, i agree. if its not feasible to have a national broadsheet for IP. since majority are not or atleast claim that they are not IP. atleast there is an IP section to all of the national broadsheets in the country.

Bugan said...

hi wanderingcommuter,

thanks for your thoughts. yes, i think it would be good if 'national' dailies would cover IP or ethnic minority issues more regularly. it's slowly happening, though, so there's some hope.

cheers!